Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wasp –1, Val –0

As it was one of my good friends’ birthday this past weekend, we decided to celebrate by going downtown for the evening. Before heading to the bars that night, we spent some time at her sister’s place near Elgin. Five of us were all out on the deck enjoying ourselves when I spotted a chair in the corner. I was wearing white pants so it was best I didn’t sit on the dirty patio furniture, and this fabric foldout chair in the corner looked like it would satisfy my sitting needs. It was a decision I would soon regret. As soon as I opened the chair, out fell a wasp nest at my feet complete with about 20, now angry, wasps. I immediately panicked because there were many angry wasps now buzzing around. All five of us turned into a bunch of crazy girls. Four out of the five of us ended up getting stung before we could make it back in the house safe and sound. In all the chaos I managed to leave my full glass of wine outside. I did not dare try to rescue it.
I forgot how much a wasp sting hurts. It’s been years since I was last stung, and figured it hurt so much because I was a child. Nope, not the case, it actually really hurts. The pain comes in waves, like a burning sensation. I got stung on my knee so my pants kept rubbing against it, making it hurt that much more. We were all basically unimpressed. I felt bad because I had been the one to disturb the nest, but honestly, I had no idea there was a wasp nest lurking in this chair! Wasps are assholes. But I guess I DID disturb their home, and deserved some kind of payback. Nonetheless I still think they are assholes. Not cool wasps not cool.

In no time we all felt a little better (a special thank you to our friends wine and vodka), and continued on with the festivities of the night.


If you ever find yourself stung by a wasp, here is what you should do. First, clean the area and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling, ease the pain, and slow the spread of venom. Vinegar works to relieve the stinging, and a paste of baking soda can also be used to relieve some of the wasp sting symptoms.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the new look Val! It looks fabulous! And I agree Wasps are assholes! Hope it doesn't hurt too much anymore! xo

    ReplyDelete